Church Of The Holy Trinity, Lydham
- HER Number (PRN): 13649
- Site Name : Church Of The Holy Trinity, Lydham
- Protected Status:
Grade: II* Ref No.: 1054512 Title: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 3357 9107
- Brief Description: A 13th century parish church, which is protected by Grade II* Listing.
- Description: Parish church. C13, restored in 1642, 1885, and 1891-2. Coursed and random rubble with slate roofs. Nave, lower chancel, and south porch. Parapeted gable end to east and gabled bellcote to west with twin arched openings. Nave: south side: chamfered arched doorway to left with hoodmould and 6-panelled door; gabled porch with arched entrance and side benches within; central cusped 2-light window with hoodmould and carved stops; cusped lancet to right. North side: 2-light circa 1885 window in a C14 style with hoodmould and uncarved stops. West end: cusped 2-light circa 1885 window with hoodmould and uncarved stops; wall above thickened to support bellcote and forming hood over window. Chancel: south side: 2 buttresses; one-light square headed cusped window to left, and one-light square headed window to right with cusped ogee tracery; 2 buttresses to north and later lean-to shed; east end: 3-light C19 window with reticulated quatrefoil tracery and hoodmould with uncarved stops. Interior: restored C15 three-bay nave roof with struts from arch-braced collars, double purlins, and windbraces; probably C15 archbraced single framed chancel roof. Fittings include: cut down C17 box pews; plain C17 octagonal wooden pulpit with gadrooned frieze; octagonal stone font with chamfered stem on step; C17 panelling on east wall of chancel with some arched panels, gadrooning, and guilloche ornament; hatchment on south wall of chancel. Cranage, Part 5, pp416-7; N. Pevsner, Buildings of England Shropshire, p192; Kelly's Directory 1913, p145 <2>
Watching brief carried out on underpinning and drainage works at Holy Trinity Church, Lydham, Shropshire in 1998. Drainage trenches and soakaways were excavated and the church buttresses underpinned. Two small excavation trenches were opened along the east gable end of the church also. No datable finds were encountered although it was possible to confirm that the church was constructed on natural deposits of clay and that the south porch and buttresses were later editions that cut though earlier burials. <3>
Photograph taken 10th July 2015. <7>
- Record Type: Building
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 13649. (01) List of Buildings: Ministry of Housing and Local Government. 1967-Oct. Revised Provisional List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest (Clun Rural District). Provisional List. p34. (02) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1985-Jan-02. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 498-0. List volume. p92. (03) Watching brief report: Williams D N. 1998. Holy Trinity Church, Lydham, Shropshire: an archaeological watching brief. Hereford Archaeology Series. 357. (04) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p192. (05) Monograph: Cranage D H S. 1901. An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire Vol 5. Vol 5. p416-7. (06) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. P391. (07) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Last Edited: 19/07/2019 14:20:23