Church Of St. Peter, Melverley
- HER Number (PRN): 00982
- Site Name : Church Of St. Peter, Melverley
- Protected Status:
Grade: I Ref No.: 1367171 Title: CHURCH OF ST PETER, MELVERLEY Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 3325 1656
- Related People:
Forename Surname Role Edward Haycock Architect
- Brief Description: A late 15th century parish church, which is protected by Grade I Listing.
- Description: Parish church. Probably late C15 with C16 porch and bellcote of c.1718; restored 1878 and 1924-5. Timber framed with rendered la the and plaster infill on rubblestone plinth C19 brick plinth to east end ). Machine tile roof with ornamental cresting. Rectangular nave and chancel in one with west bellcote and south porch.
Framing: close-set thick vertical posts with middle rail on north, south and west; cambered tie beams to gable ends. East end more renewed with 2 middle rails and slightly curving diagonal bracing. Similar close-set posts to slightly later porch which has outer tie beam with raking struts to principal rafters and wall posts. Two square panels to each face of formerly weather-boarded bellcote, which has louvred openings below eaves of broached slate spire. Restored moulded leaded mullioned and transomed window of 4 lights immediately to east of porch is possibly C17; similar leaded mullioned window of 2 lights to far right is C19. East window of 1878 has 5 cusped lights and projecting moulded cill. Small 2-light leaded mullion window inserted in middle rail to centre on north side. West wall has 2 small C19 leaded mullion windows on ground floor and two 3-light leaded mullion windows in space between tie beam and collar.
Segmental-headed south doorway has mortices to underside of reused lintel; massive plank door with 2 raised ledges and huge timber block to thresh-hold (continuation of sole-plat e).
Interior: Vestibule/narthex has red tile floor. Reused late C1 6 square and rectangular oak panelling in screen separating it from main body of church with inscription INRI ANO DONI 1588 C(?)TO / EXDOMOED: T HORN to bottom. Oak winder staircase in south-west corner leads to gallery. This was erected in 1718 and has bulbous turned balusters to rail. Bracing for bellcote on tie beam above. C15 double-purlin roof in 4 bay s has slightly cambered collar and tie beam end trusses with V-struts from west collar and vertical struts to east. First trusses from east and west are arch-braced with V-struts from collars. Massive chamfered wall posts, double-purlins and cusped windbraces. Centre truss has cambered tie beam and collar, former with raking struts to principal rafters. Vertical struts also carried down from tie beam to form open screen. Moulded horizontal beam with moulded cambered arch-way to centre. Open to left a nd right with vertical struts and plain plank and muntin dado. North, south and west walls have long internal diagonal braces, some slightly curve d, in front of exposed timber framing.
Octagonal concave-sided font with lead lining and wooden cover (c.1718) is probably C15. Finely carved hexagonal Jacobean pulpit with ornamental base; contemporary communion table. Brass chandelier hanging from collar of first truss from east. Early C18 open benches with circular ends, including to gallery and in vestibule (inscribed M 1716), mostly altered in late C19. Small room on north side of vestibule has late C18 wall cupboard with H-hinges fixed to screen. Painted wooden board commemorates John Peers of Bretchel (died 1778) who Gave in ? his Life time five ? Shillings yearly in / Bread upon St. John's / Day To the Poor / of The Parish of / Melverley: Forever. Only other monuments of note are wall memorial to Richard and Margaret Downes erected 1730 by their son, John and brass plate in moulded wooden frame to Edward Lloyd (died 1704): both south side. Stained glass in east window by Kempe and Tower workshop with inscription of 1928. Picturesquely situated by the bank of the River Vyrnwy, the Church of St. Peter is one of only 2 timber framed churches in Shropshire. <1>
In Feb 1990 an appeal was launched for flood protection works. <2>
The work was carried out with the help of a grant from SCC. <4>
Church and war memorial photographs take on 20th October 2015. <11>
The present building may be dated as early as the fourteenth century. There is one reference previous to this date which probably refers to St Peter's, although not the present building, instead describing a "wooden chapel on the banks of the Severn". According to Bagshaw in his 1851 directory, part of the building was swept away subsequent to the year 1478. In the 19th century piles were driven into the river-bed to protect the bank from erosion. <12>
Probably built in late C16. Ed Williams watercolour of 1790 reproduced.<13>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 00982. (01) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1987-Oct-21. 20th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 1574-0. List volume. p76-77. (01a) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p198. (01b) Monograph: Cranage D H S. 1908. An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire Vol 9. Vol 9. p804-805, Appendix p1000. (02) Newspaper article: Anon. 1990-Feb-22. Article in Shropshire Star. Shropshire Star. (03) Photograph: Watson Michael D. 1981. Slides of Interior and Exterior. Colour. (04) Photograph: Haigh David H. 1992-Feb. St Peter's Church, Melverley. Black and white. 35mm. (05) Photograph: Watson Michael D. 1981. Melverley Church. Colour. (06) Photograph: Burrow Ian. 1976. Melverly Church. Colour. (07) Oblique aerial photograph: Musson Chris R. 1992-May-03. CPAT 92/MC01/0001 and 0003 (2 photos). Colour. Medium. (08) Photograph: Tyler Alan W & Tyler Barbara. 1980-Mar. St Peters Church, Melverley. Black and white. 35mm. (09) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1981-Oct/Nov. St Peters Church, Melverley. Black and white. 35mm. (10) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. P401. (11) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. (12) Historic landscape survey report: Roe Annette. Melverley Parish: an Archaeological Survey. (13) Monograph: Mercer Eric. 2003. English Architecture to 1900: The Shropshire Experience. p.286.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 01/07/1994
- Date Last Edited: 05/02/2019 13:09:53