Church Of Holy Trinity, Sidbury
- HER Number (PRN): 12032
- Site Name : Church Of Holy Trinity, Sidbury
- Protected Status:
Grade: II* Ref No.: 1053776 Title: CHURCH OF HOLY TRINITY, SIDBURY C. P. Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 6839 8578
- Related Monuments:
- Brief Description: Parish church with C12 nave, north chapel of 1734, restored and extended by Robert Griffiths, 1881. It is protected by Grade II* Listing.
- Description: Extensively restored after fire in 1912. The core is late C11 as shown by herring-bone masonry. North chapel C18, 2 good and almost identical mural monuments in chapel to Anne Geswell (1705) and husband (1708). <1>
Nave and lower chancel, and timber-framed bellcote with pyramid roof. Most remarkable is the herringbone masonry in all three walls of the nave, early Norman and contempory with the plain blocked W doorway. The herringbone-walled S porch must belong to the restoration of 1881 by Robert Griffiths when the chancel with virtually rebuilt. Ashalar-faced N chapel, dated 1734. A fire in 1812 did much damage. <6>
List Description Replaced, and Grade Amended to II*, 26/03/2010.
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Parish church with C12 nave, north chapel of 1734, restored and extended by Robert Griffiths, 1881.
MATERIALS: Locally quarried sandstone, mainly laid in herringbone fashion in the nave; ashlar siltstone to north chapel; freestone dressings, tile roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower chancel, south porch, west belfry and chapel on the north side of the chancel.
EXTERIOR: Herringbone masonry in the nave is mainly C12 but includes some C19 work on the south side. The west wall has a blocked Norman doorway, the arch of which contains sandstone and tufa voussoirs. Except for the round-headed south doorway, the C19 nave and chancel work is in simple Decorated style, with 2-light nave windows. Two memorial tablets are on the nave south wall, to Thomas Childe (d 1772) and family, and Henry Page (d 1800). The porch, which also incorporates herringbone masonry, has a pointed entrance with continuous double chamfer, and triple lancet sided windows. The belfry is timber-framed with louvered sound holes in each face, under a pyramid roof on swept eaves, with weathervane. The chancel has single and 2-light windows in the south wall, and 2-light east window. The north chapel has a small 2-light east window but no other external openings.
INTERIOR: The nave has a trussed-rafter roof and, supporting the bellcote at the west end, a single tie-beam truss on corbelled brackets. The chancel arch has a continuous double chamfer and hood mould. In the chancel is a canted ceiling, boarded behind moulded and embossed ribs. An C18 double-chamfered arch on the north side opens to the chapel. The piscina is ogee-headed. Walls are plastered. Floors are C19 and C20 tiles, with steps in the chancel.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Many interior fixtures post-date a fire in 1912. The tub font of c1931 is neo-Norman. It has intersecting arches below a tier of snake-like branches. The polygonal pulpit has open arcading and foliage-trail cornice. Simple pews have X-shaped ends incorporating trefoils. Choir stalls have moulded ends with arms rests incorporating blind trefoils, and ogee-arcaded fronts. The wooden communion rail has cast-iron uprights with scrolls. The simple reredos has paired Corinthian columns, guilloche frieze and roundel with Chi-Rho symbol. A hatchment is on the west wall. The east window shows 2 angels, dated 1931 by Powell's. In the chapel is a reassembled pair of wall monuments to Richard Creswell (d1708) and Anne Creswell (d 1705), comprising oval tablets with garlands, flaming urns and cherubs, over a memorable skull and crossbones.
HISTORY: Evidence of a C12 origin is the herringbone masonry in the nave walls. A Gothic-style north chapel was added in 1734 (date on stonework) by the Creswell family. The church was restored in 1881 by Robert Griffiths, architect of Quatford, who completely rebuilt the chancel. Porch and belfry also belong to this phase. The contractor was Nevett Brothers of Ironbridge. The church was damaged in a fire in 1912 and many of the interior fixtures post-date this.
SOURCES: J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, 2006, p 595. <7>
Later photographs taken 10th April 2017. <8>
At Sidbury, where the Victorian restoration was much less drastic than Pevsner suggests, the herringbone courses of the west wall continue up over the head of the early Norman doorway, which must be presumed coeval with the fabric. Photograph of font.<9>
- Record Type: Building
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 12032. (01) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p217. (02) Photograph: Anon. 1981. Sidbury Church. Colour. (03) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1981-Nov. Holy Trinity, Sidbury. Black and white. 35mm. (04) Monograph: Cranage D H S. 1900. An Architectural Account of the Churches of Shropshire Vol 4. Vol 4. p355-357. (05) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p289. (06) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. P595. (07) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p217. 113th? Amendment (Grade from B to II*, Description) 26/03/2010. (08) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. 20/04/2017. (09) Monograph: Mercer Eric. 2003. English Architecture to 1900: The Shropshire Experience. pp.5, 31.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Last Edited: 29/05/2018 11:36:48