Church Of St Bartholomew, Glazeley
- HER Number (PRN): 11850
- Site Name : Church Of St Bartholomew, Glazeley
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1188677 Title: CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW, GLAZELEY Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 7032 8824
- Related People:
Forename Surname Role Arthur William Blomfield Architect
- Brief Description: Parish church which was built in 1873-75 by Arthur Blomfield (1829-99), one of the most active and successful church architects of the Gothic revival. It has undergone little subsequent alteration, and has interior fittings of interest, including good-quality stained glass. It is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Rebuilt by Blomfield in 1875 in early C14 style. Rock faced sandstone. Timber bell turret. Tub-shaped C12 font, now outside. Brass to Thomas Wylde (1599) and wife <1>
List Grade Amended from C to II, and Description Amended, 23/08/2010.
Parish church built 1873-75 by A.W. Blomfield.
MATERIALS: Rock-faced grey sandstone with freestone dressings and quoins; tile roofs.
PLAN: Nave and slightly narrower chancel, under a single roof, with fleche, south porch and north organ chamber/vestry.
EXTERIOR: Simple Decorated-style church. The buttressed nave has two 2-light and two single-light windows in north and south walls, and 4-light west window. The south porch has a pointed arch to the entrance with continuous moulding, with similar south nave doorway. The square slate fleche is over the east end of the nave, and has timber-framed cusped arches in each face, and weathervane. The chancel has 2-light and single-light south windows. The 3-light east window has a stepped sill band. The organ chamber has a 2-light north window.
INTERIOR: The nave has a 4-bay arched-brace roof on corbelled wall posts. The division between nave and chancel is a full-height wooden screen with 3 tall arches, and a higher tier of arcading in the roof space. The chancel has a keeled wagon roof of slender ribs, boarded behind. Two unequal arches, with central round pier and broad quadrant moulding, lead into vestry and organ chamber. Walls are plastered and painted white. The floors are C19 tiles to nave, with raised wooden floors below the pews. The stepped chancel floor is concealed by carpets.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: Blomfield designed the font with its stem of clustered shafts and the polygonal pulpit with arcading. Simple pews have plain ends with moulded tops. The communion rail has well-spaced turned balusters. The east window shows the Adoration of the Shepherds, 1888 by C.E. Kempe. The war-memorial north nave window is by Joseph Wilson Forster, 1925, commemorating James Cooke who died in 1917: a white-clad youth kneels before the transfigured Christ, in a scene taken from a verse by Lord Lytton; the mauve hues, and obvious use of portrait photos, make this a rather affecting window, very expressive of post-WWI mourning. A brass to Thomas Wylde (d 1599), with small figures, is in the sanctuary.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: The plain Norman tub font belonging to the previous church is in the churchyard.
HISTORY: Built in 1873-75 by Arthur Blomfield (1829-99), one of the most active and successful church architects of the Gothic revival. The church was designed by one of the most active and successful church architects of the Gothic revival, Arthur William Blomfield (1829-99) who was the fourth son of Bishop Charles J Blomfield of London (bishop 1828-56). He was articled to P.C. Hardwick and began independent practice in 1856 in London. His early work is characterised by a strong muscular quality and the use of structural polychrome often with continental influences. He became diocesan architect to Winchester, hence a large number of church-building commissions throughout the diocese. He was also architect to the Bank of England from 1883. Blomfield was knighted in 1889 and was awarded the RIBA's Royal Gold Medal in 1891. The church replaced earlier churches at both here and nearby Deuxhill.
Newman, J., and Pevsner, N., The Buildings of England: Shropshire (2006),272. ->
-> REASONS FOR DESIGNATION:
The church of St Bartholomew, Glazeley, is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* It is a well-preserved small C19 Gothic-revival church which has undergone little subsequent alteration.
* It has interior fittings of interest, including good-quality stained glass. <5>
Later photograph taken 24th September 2015. <8>
- Record Type: Building
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 11850. (01) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p152. (02) Photograph: Anon. 1981. 2 colour slides of Glazeley Church, one of interior and one of exterior. Colour. (03) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1981-Oct/Nov. Font, Stone Coffin, Exterior (N side) and War Memorial, St Bartholomews Church, Glazeley. Black and white. 35mm. Film 118, Frames 36 to 39. (04) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p132. (05) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p152 115th Amendment (From C to II, Description) 23/8/2010. (06) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. P272. (07) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1981-Oct/Nov. 2 Photographs of a Photograph of the former (pre 1875) St Bartholomews Church, Glazeley. Black and white. 35mm. (08) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Last Edited: 01/03/2017 16:31:05