Church Of St Giles, Farlow
- HER Number (PRN): 11846
- Site Name : Church Of St Giles, Farlow
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1188651 Title: CHURCH OF ST GILES, FARLOW Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 6395 8062
- Related People:
Forename Surname Role Robert Griffiths Built or Commisioned
- Brief Description: Parish church of 1857-58 by Robert Griffiths, incorporating font and C12 doorway from a former church. It is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Rebuilt in 1858 by R Griffiths. Early English style, incorporating C12 South doorway and font. Stone with tiled roof <1>
Regraded from C to II, and New Description issued as follows, 26/03/2010.
Parish church of 1857-58 by Robert Griffiths, incorporating font and C12 doorway from a former church.
MATERIALS: Local, yellow Farlow sandstone in roughly square blocks, with tooled dressings. Tile roofs and cast iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: Nave with lower and narrower Chancel, south porch, West belcote and vestry on the north side of the nave.
EXTERIOR:A parish church in simple C19 Gothic style. But retaining part of the Norman doorway of an older church.This has C19 rook shafts and block capitals, but C12 arch with chevrons to the extrados and intrados, and
intersecting arcs to the label. The nave, which has ang1e butresses, has 4 single-light cusped windows in south and north walls and 2-light west window with Y-tracery. The porch has a pointed arch and trefoil side windows. The gabled bellcote incorporates 2 Cusped bell openings. In the chancel are 2 plain lancets in south ahd north walls, and triple stepped east Window.
INTERIOR: The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. The double-chamfered chancel arch includes an inner order on corbelled shafts. The çhancel has a 2-bay arched-brace roof on corbels. Walls are plastered. Where
visible, the nave floor is red-and-black diaper tiles, with raised wooden floors below the pews
and the chancel are red and cream tiles.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The Norman tub font is plain. The polygonal stone pulpit, post 1897, has marble shafts to niches with figures including St Giles.Pews have plain ends with moulded tops. Choir stalls are also simple with
open trefoils on arm rests. The wooden communion rail has cast-iron uprights with scrolled brackets, The east window shows Christ flanked by Moses and Elijah, by Swaine Bourne, 1887. The west window shows Christ with St John,
by Powell's, 1873.
HISTORY: Built in 1857-8 by Robert Griffiths, architect of Qutaford, replacing an old church on a different site. The arch over a Norman doorway and the font were brought from the old church.
Newman,J and Pevsner.N.The Buildings of England:Shropshire(2006),268-59. <3>
Later photograph taken 24th September 2015. <5>
- Record Type: Building
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 11846. (01) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p151. (02) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p130. (03) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p151. 113th? Amendment (Grade from C to II, Description) 26/03/2010. (04) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. 268-59.. (05) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Last Edited: 13/11/2018 10:45:13