Church Of St Mary, Sutton Maddock
- HER Number (PRN): 00768
- Site Name : Church Of St Mary, Sutton Maddock
- Protected Status:
Grade: II* Ref No.: 1367564 Title: CHURCH OF ST MARY, SUTTON MADDOCK C. P. Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 7188 0140
- Related People:
Forename Surname Role Thomas Nicholson Built or Commisioned
- Brief Description: Tower dated 1579, remainder rebuilt 1887-88 by Nicholson of Hereford.It is protected by Grade II* Listing.
- Description: Embattled tower of red sandstone, dated 1579. The rest of the church rebuilt 1888 by Nicholson in C14 style. Aisleless nave and chancel <2>
(All) 1888 except for the W tower which is dated 1579. The lower parts may be Perpendicular, but the bell-openings are an interesting Tudor motif: straight-headed, of three tall arched lights. Battlements and pinnacles <3>
Listing Grade amended from B to II*, and Description replaced, 26/03/2010.->
DATES OF MAIN PHASES, NAME OF ARCHITECT: Tower dated 1579, remainder rebuilt 1887-88 by Nicholson of Hereford.
MATERIALS: Local red sandstone, laid in regular courses to tower, snecked hammer-dressed to C19 sections, with tile roofs and cast-iron rainwater goods.
PLAN: Nave, lower and narrower chancel, west tower, north vestry/organ chamber and south porch.
EXTERIOR: Perpendicular church with Tudor-Gothic tower. The 2-stage tower has string courses and diagonal buttresses. In the lower stage is a 3-light west window with impost band carried over as a hood mould. In the tall upper stage are straight-headed 3-light bell openings, with round-headed lights and hood moulds. In the south wall is a weathered relief panel of a lion and in the east wall worn tablet with the date 1579. The embattled parapet has corner pinnacles, behind which is a pyramidal roof with weathervane. Nave and chancel have moulded stone cornices and coped gables. The 3-bay nave has 3-light windows. The west bay in the south wall is the porch, which has a pointed entrance under crocketed ogee hood mould, and straight-headed 3-light side windows. The south doors have flowing strap hinges in a surround with continuous moulding. In the 2-bay chancel are 2-light windows and a 5-light east window above date tablet in the plinth. On the north side is only one window and the organ chamber/vestry. It has a 2-light straight-headed north window, pointed east door and external stack on the west side.
INTERIOR: The tall C16 pointed tower arch has semi-circular responds with broad fillets. The nave has a 5-bay arched-brace roof on a moulded cornice, with 2 tiers of windbraces formed into X patterns. The chancel arch has an inner order of shafts with moulded capitals, and hood mould with head stops. The chancel has a trussed-rafter roof. The arch to the north organ chamber has a continuous moulding. Ogee-headed piscina and aumbry are in south and north walls, the former with a corbelled basin. Walls are exposed dressed stonework. The nave has C19 patterned tiles and parquet floors beneath the pews. The stepped chancel floor is concealed by fitted carpets.
PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The octagonal Perpendicular font is on a raised plinth, has a panelled stem and quatrefoils around the bowl. The polygonal pulpit has open panels with Gothic tracery, on a stone base. Pews have panelled ends and the nave has a panelled wainscot. Choir stalls have ends with poppy heads incorporating pointed quatrefoils, and open pointed-trefoil frieze to the fronts. The wooden communion rail is on brass uprights with scrollwork brackets. The open 3-sided reredos is on octagonal posts and incorporates candlestick-bearing angels and a cornice of foliage trails. Beneath the tower are wall tablets to William Jones (d 1823), Walter Mansell (d 1795) and Elizabeth Farmer (d 1837). There are several stained glass windows. The east window shows the life of Christ, by Camm & Co of Smethwick, 1908. The chancel north wall has SS Mary and John, possibly 1887 by Samuel Evans of West Smethwick. In the nave north wall is the Baptism of Christ and Christ blessing children, possibly also 1887, by Done & Davies of Shrewsbury.
HISTORY: The earliest part of the building is the tower, dated 1579. The remainder was rebuilt, replacing a Georgian nave and chancel, in 1887-88 by Thomas Nicholson & Son of Hereford.
SOURCES: J. Newman and N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, 2006, p 618.<5>
Later photographs taken 6th May 2016. <6>
The whole church was rebuilt in three separate stages: the W tower in the late C16, the nave in the C18, and the chancel at some time between 1789 and 1820.<7>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 00768. (01) Card index: Ordnance Survey. 1960. Ordnance Survey Record Card SJ70SW1. Ordnance Survey record cards. SJ70SW1. (02) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p233. (03) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. p300. (04) Monograph: Newman J & Pevsner N. 2006. Buildings of England: Shropshire. Buildings of England. P618. (05) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1974-Feb-01. 4th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 823-0. List volume. p233 113th? Amendment (Grade from B to II*, Description) 26/03/2010. (06) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. 19/05/2016. (07) Monograph: Mercer Eric. 2003. English Architecture to 1900: The Shropshire Experience. p.290.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 01/12/1994
- Date Last Edited: 12/02/2019 13:03:17