- HER Number (PRN): 00758
- Site Name : Priorslee Chapel
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 710 094
- Brief Description: This site represents: a hermitage of medieval date, a chapel of medieval date.
- Description: The chapel at Priorslee consisted, according to a drawing made in 1816, of nave, chancel and turret. There was a hermitage there in 1409. The chapel stood on the north side of the road at a point near to the road leading to the village. In 1836 the church was rebuilt at the junction of Shifnal and Holyhead Roads. ( SA 17038?) <1a>
Chapel Yard field name <1b>
Two drawings made in 1788 and 1816 show considerable alterations made between those two dates. They do not assist in the siting of the building. <1c>
Exact site not ascertained. Two lengths of walling 6.5m NW/SE, consisting of stone at base and brick and rubble at top form a right angle in the corner of field at SJ7120 0942. Joined at ends by hedges and may be no more than retaining walling. OS FI 1975 <1>
Evaluated for MPP in 1990-1, as one of less than 10 Hermitages. <2>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 00758. (01) Card index: Ordnance Survey. 1975. Ordnance Survey Record Card SJ70NW14 . Ordnance Survey record cards. SJ70NW14 . (01a) Monograph: Cartlidge J E G. The Vale and Gates of Usc Con. p68-69. (01b) Map: Anon. 1840. Tithe Award Map for Shifnal. Tithe Maps. Shifnal. (01c) Drawing: Anon. 1788. 18th Century Drawing. (01d) Drawing: Anon. 1816. 19th Century Drawing. (02) TEXT: Horton Wendy B. 1990/ 1991. MPP Evaluation File.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 14/12/1976