Coalport Brick And Tile Works Aka The Gitches Or Glitchfield
- HER Number (PRN): 07295
- Site Name : Coalport Brick And Tile Works Aka The Gitches Or Glitchfield
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 7081 0144
- Brief Description: The site of 19th century and later brick and tile works.
- Description: Open space-fields <1>
Coalport Brick and Tile Works, alongside and connected to the GWR Severn Valley Branch <2><3>
Sewage Reclamation Works. Map indicates historic building(s) have been demolished <4>
Established in 1893 with workers cottages close by. Electric lights in 1922 for night working. One of five drying floors measured 220 by 40 feet and could hold one million tiles. Clay was used from the hillside behind the works. The buildings were taken over by Wolverhampton Metal Co and later demolished and it is now the site of the Gitchfield sewage plant. <5>
- Record Type: Monument
(01) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1887. OS County Series 51NE, 1887. OS County Series. 51NE. 1:10560. (02) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1903. OS County Series 51NE, 1903. OS County Series. 51NE. 1:10560. (03) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1954. OS SJ70SW, 1954. OS National Grid Series. SJ70SW. 1:10560. (04) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1981. OS SJ70SW, 1981. OS National Grid Series. SJ70SW. 1:10000. (05) Deskbased survey report: Clark C & Alfrey Judith. 1988. Jackfield and Broseley: Nuffield Survey, Fourth Interim Report. p 87.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 19/06/1995
- Date Last Edited: 23/10/2019 11:02:14