Wwii Military Hospital Within Halston Park, N Of Halston Hall
- HER Number (PRN): 28471
- Site Name : Wwii Military Hospital Within Halston Park, N Of Halston Hall
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 3396 3197
- Brief Description: Below ground remains of a WWII United States Military Hospital comprising over 100 buildings, in the grounds of Halston Park to the north of Halston Hall. Only one roofed building survives.
- Description: WWII Military hospital marked as disused in 1954. Site comprised over 100 buildings. <1>
Only one roofed building survives. The cropmark remains of individual buildings are visible on vertical aerial photography, and possible represents below ground remains of concrete bases and floors of buildings. <2>
Halston Hall, Whittington WWII US Military Hospital (1,084 beds) (J8052) <3>
In World War II the park (but not the hall) were requisitioned and a US military hospital (1,084 beds) established. The majority of the hospital buildings were located to the north and north-west of the house. The main axial concrete access road and a number of concrete structures represent the only surviving above ground elements of the complex. It is likely that the construction of the hospital resulted in the felling of some parkland trees, particularly adjacent to the main drive and north of the hall. <4>
- Record Type: Monument
(01) Map: Ordnance Survey. 1954. OS SJ33SW, 1954. OS National Grid Series. SJ33SW. 1:10560. (02) Vertical aerial photograph: UK Perspectives. 1999/ 2002. UK Perspectives MAPS Digital Aerial Photographic Data Set for Shropshire. Colour. ECW. 1:10000. (03) Webpage: Unknown. 2011. Army Camps/Barracks in Shropshire. http://www.airfieldinformationexchange.org. 25/05/2012. (04) Management report: Wigley A and Belchere P. 2013. Halston Hall, Whittington, Shropshire: HLS Parkland Plan. Shropshire Council. p.11.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 25/05/2012 14:34:53
- Date Last Edited: 24/10/2017 13:51:37