- HER Number (PRN): 03915
- Site Name : Ketley Ironworks
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 6719 1086
- Brief Description: This site represents: a foundry of 18th to 19th century date, a forge of 18th to 19th century date, a blast furnace of 18th to 19th century date.
- Description: The first furnace came into blast in 1757 and a second in 1758. By 1776 there were 3 furnaces and in 1785 a forge began work. Under the Reynolds brothers Ketleys was the fifth largest ironworks in Britain. In 1804 there were 6 blast furnaces, and output of pig in 1806 was c7, 500 tons. The foundry made large castings for civil and mechanical engineers and the forge made plates and rods. The works prospered until 1816 when it closed because of falling demand. Early in 1818, however, the Ketley Co revived 3 blast furnaces and the forge. Annual production of pig was c5000 tons in 1823 and c5, 750 in 1830. In the 1850s pig and bar iron remained the chief products. The Ketley Co collapsed c1874, closed the works, and sold the plant in 1879 to Nettlefolds Ltd. Nettlefolds did not, however, revive ironworking. ->
-> Engineering resumed at the site in 1903 when the Sinclair Iron Co was established - see PRN 07195 <1>
Iron Blast Furnace. <2>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. SMR Sheets Collection. SMR record sheets. SMR Sheet for PRN SA 03915. (01) Volume: Baugh G C (ed). 1985. Victoria County History Volume XI: Telford. Victoria County History of Shropshire. Vol XI. p271-272. (02) Monograph: Trinder Barrie. 1996. The Industrial Archaeology of Shropshire. Appendix One.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 12/09/1984
- Date Last Edited: 31/10/2018 13:26:04