Site Of A Watermill In Upper Mill Meadow
- HER Number (PRN): 03704
- Site Name : Site Of A Watermill In Upper Mill Meadow
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 4237 0211
- Brief Description: Sit of a possible watermill of medieval date, with earthworks in Upper Mill Meadow suggesting the former existence of a mill-leat.
- Description: Earthworks in Upper Mill Meadow, Castle Pulverbatch suggest the former existence of a mill-leet and often fill up with water to appear as ponds on most maps. A farm of the mill is mentioned in connection with Pulverbatch in a medieval document of 1423/4 .<1>
Evaluated for MPP in 1990-1, Medium score as one of 15 Medieval Watermills. <2>
The site of the former mill pond is still shown as water filled on modern maps. <3>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 03704. (01) Field survey report: Stillman N. 1980. Castle Pulverbatch - A Field Survey of a Motte and Bailey Earthwork in Shropshire. p21. (02) TEXT: Horton Wendy B. 1990/ 1991. MPP Evaluation File. (03) Deskbased survey report: Hannaford Hugh R & Silvester R. 2015. Desk-based studies of four castles in the Welsh Marches: Castle Pulverbatch, More Castle, Wilmington Castle & Hyssington Castle. SCAS Rep. 371.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 03/06/1994
- Date Last Edited: 09/03/2018 14:53:35