Slight Earthworks, Pinfolds Close
- HER Number (PRN): 03703
- Site Name : Slight Earthworks, Pinfolds Close
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 4226 0229
- Brief Description: A number of slight earthwork features, possibly a former tenement division of medieval to post medieval date.
- Description: Slight earthworks in Pinfolds Close, Castle Pulverbatch. A cottage once stood at the corner of the field by the road junction, and a former tenement division is suggested. <1>
The earthworks were looked at from the road. A N/S scarp, sloping down to the east, can be seen running across the field. It is approx 0.5m to 1m high, and I would locate it slightly further west than N Stillman. It could be an outwork of the castle (PRN 01051), although there is no continuation on the castle side of the road, or otherwise a property/ field boundary as mentioned by N Stillman. There is also an L shaped bank running into the current hedgerow which may be an old field boundary. No continuation is seen on the castle side of the road. Condition is medium, with some threat from stock erosion and farm vehicles. W Horton FI 1991 <2>
No indication of these features on LiDAR, but the area has been subject to heavy disturbance since site visits in the 1980s and early 1990s. <7><8>
Extensively disturbed and nothing clear visible in photogrammetric survey carried out in 2017. <9>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 03703. (01) Field survey report: Stillman N. 1980. Castle Pulverbatch - A Field Survey of a Motte and Bailey Earthwork in Shropshire. p19, with sketch plan. (02) Field recording form: Horton Wendy B. 1991-Jan-15. Site Visit Form, 15/01/1991. SMR site visit form. (03) Photograph: Horton Wendy B. 1991-Jan. Faint Scarp Slopes, Church Pulverbatch. Colour. 35mm. (04) Oblique aerial photograph: Musson Chris R. 1992-May-03. CPAT 92/MB/0404 and 0405A and 0405B (3 photos). Black and White. Medium. (05) Oblique aerial photograph: Musson Chris R. 1992-May-03. CPAT 92/MC07/0006. Colour. Medium. (06) Oblique aerial photograph: Musson Chris R. 2000-Mar-05. CPAT 00/MB/2023 to 2026 (4 photos). Black and White. Medium. (07) Geospatial data: Environment Agency. LiDAR (Light Detection And Ranging) Digital Terrain Model (1m). (08) Aerial photograph: Google. Varied. Google Earth. digital. 2010 layer. (09) Article in serial: Carey Giles. 2018. Capturing the Castle: recent survey work at Castle Pulverbatch Motte and Bailey, Shropshire. Trans Shropshire Archaeol Hist Soc. 93. pp.31-44. p.40.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 05/08/1983
- Date Last Edited: 05/11/2018 13:35:47