Milestone On A5 Immediately N Of Moreton Bridge
- HER Number (PRN): 21049
- Site Name : Milestone On A5 Immediately N Of Moreton Bridge
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1462384 Title: Milestone at NGR SJ 29977 35737, at the west side of the A5 trunk road, south of Gledrid roundabout and just north of where the road crosses the Llangollen Canal. Moreton Bridge, Weston Rhyn Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 2998 3574
- Brief Description: An early 19th century milestone with a metal plate. Superscription " HOLY-/ HEAD / 85-M / SALOP / 21M-6F. " See PRN 19137 for another in the series. Protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Milestone (M.S.) depicted here on the 1st edition County Series 1:10560 Map. <1>
In source [<2>], the identical looking, and next milestone in the sequence (PRN 19137), is described thus:
Milestone. Early C19. On Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road. Painted sandstone with slightly recessed cast-iron plate. <1>
Superscription " HOLY-/ HEAD / 85-M / SALOP / 21M-6F. " <4>
Found and photographed on the 5th of December 1995 in the Milestone Survey (ESA5818) . Comments made: Stone in good condition. Plate needs painting." <3>
Found and photgraphed on the 30th of July 2008 in the Milestone Society's 2005 to 2008 Survey (ESA6253) <4>
Found and photographed on the 25th June 2011 in the Milestone Society's 2009 to 2013 Survey (ESA6999) <5>
Listed at Grade II on 15/02/2019. ->
-> Milestone on Thomas Telford's Holyhead Road, dating from 1826-7.
MATERIALS: Red Wharf Bay limestone with cast iron.
DESCRIPTION: the milestone stands just north of the point where the road crosses the Llangollen Canal, on the west side of the road.
The design of the milestone tapers from bottom to top, where it finishes in a pointed head. The cast iron panel is recessed into the front, and reads:
HOLY-/ HEAD/ 85 - M/ SALOP/ 21 M - 6 F. <6>
- Record Type: Building
(01) Map: Ordnance Survey. c1872-1897. OS County Series 1:10560 (6 inch) maps (1st edition) - digital dataset. OS County Series. (02) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1987-Sep-02. 19th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 1582-0. List volume. p62. (03) Field recording form: Shropshire County Council. 1995-1997. SCC Milestone Survey record forms. SCC Milestone Survey record forms. Div1/A3 with photograph. (04) Project archive: Reade AT. 2005 -2008. The Milestone Society (Shropshire) Survey of Mileposts 2005 to 2008. Milestone Society 2005 to 2008 Survey. O3, HHO85. (05) Project archive: Haynes J B. 2009 -2013. The Milestone Society (Shropshire) Survey of Mileposts 2009 to 2013. Milestone Society 2009 to 2013 Survey. HH085. (06) Advisory designation documentation: Historic England (Designation). 2019-Feb. Case Name: Thomas Telford Holyhead milestone 85 - Case Number: 1459857.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 26/11/2008 11:17:27
- Date Last Edited: 15/02/2019 14:55:31