Teme Aqueduct At Ngr So 53686878
- HER Number (PRN): 03461
- Site Name : Teme Aqueduct At Ngr So 53686878
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1383773 Title: TEME AQUEDUCT AT NGR SO5370368807 Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 5370 6880
- Related Monuments:
- Brief Description: An aqueduct carrying the Leominster and Stourport Canal over the River Teme, which is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Leominster-Stourport Canal (PRN 03413). Constructed 1792-3. Originally a three -arched brick structure, the centre arch was blown up during World War II <1>
Standing part of aqueduct sound although some vegetation grows upon it. The approach earthwork on S side is under grass and in good order. A Tyler FI 1978 <2>
Part of aqueduct. 1789. By Thomas Dadford. Aqueduct over the River Teme that carried the disused Stourport to Kington canal. Coursed rubble stone, ashlar and brick. Single segmental arch on the south bank of the river with the adjoining mid-stream arch now fallen. Remaining 2 standing arches are in Little Hereford parish in the County of Hereford and Worcester. Brick arch with ashlar voussoirs and springer stone. Stone replaced with brick at head of arch. Stone cutwaters and side wall. Brick parapet with vestiges of ashlar coping. Star-shaped iron tie-rod ends below parapet. Channel of canal and parapet heavily overgrown at time of survey. One of the last significant remnants of the Kington and Leominster Canal in Shropshire.
Part also in the County of Hereford and Worcester. <5>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 03461. (01) Monograph: Russell R. 1971. Lost Canals of England and Wales. p106. (02) Site visit report: Tyler Alan W. 1978. Visit Notes, 09/06/1978, witten on card.. (03) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1978 -1979. Six Colour Slides of the Teme Aqueduct:- T30, T31, T32, T33, T34, T64. Colour. 35mm. (05) List of Buildings: Department for Culture Media and Sport (DCMS). 2000-Feb-29. 16th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 482-1. List volume. p.133.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 09/06/1978
- Date Last Edited: 10/06/2019 17:11:43