Possible Site Of Cairn C.185m E Of The Huxter Stone
- HER Number (PRN): 00156
- Site Name : Possible Site Of Cairn C.185m E Of The Huxter Stone
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 3994 8994
- Brief Description: Earthwork remains of a possible robbed out cairn of Bronze Age date.
- Description: Circular heap of stones 200yds east of the Huxter Stone and about 50yds west of the Port way. It is about 30ft in diameter and may well be the base of a tumulus <2a><2b>
A circular heather covered depression 8m in diameter and 3m deep, mutilated on the NE side. Although no stones remain on the site, the regular outline of the depression and its position on a prominent Knoll on the ridge of the Long Mynd suggest that it may be the site of a robbed cairn. OS FI 1973 <2>
This location falls within the area mapped from aerial photographs by RCHME's Marches Uplands Mapping Project. No archaeological features were identified at this site during that survey. <3>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 00156. (01) Card index: Ordnance Survey. 1982. Ordnance Survey Record Card SO39SE16 . Ordnance Survey record cards. SO39SE16 . (01a) Monograph: Bird A J. 1977. History on the Ground. p102. (02) Card index: Ordnance Survey. 1973. Ordnance Survey Record Card SO38NE14 . Ordnance Survey record cards. SO38NE14 . (02a) Map annotation: Chitty Lily F. Map annotation by OS Correspondent. (02b) Monograph: Cobbold E S. 1904. Church Stretton. Vol 3. p45 and map 23. (03) Online database: Historic England. 2016. NRHE to HER Prototype Website (https://nrhe-to-her.esdm.co.uk/). https://nrhe-to-her.esdm.co.uk/NRHE/RecordDetail.aspx?recordid=504985.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 10/06/1976
- Date Last Edited: 26/07/2016 10:31:41