The Black Ditch
- HER Number (PRN): 09148
- Site Name : The Black Ditch
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 3607 9818
- Related Monuments:
- Brief Description: The Black Ditch (also known as the Monks' Ditch before c1850) runs in a straight line north-northwest from The Knolls for over 1km before turning west, when it picks up a stream and follows a more sinuous course.
- Description: AP mark <2><4>
The western edge of the Main Ridge zone [one of the Stiperstones Survey areas] is defined by a straight length of bank with a ditch on its east side, known as the Black Ditch (before c1850 also known as the Monks' Ditch according to Foxall (<5>). The ditch runs in a straight line north-northwest from The Knolls for over 1Km before turning west, when it picks up a stream and follows a more sinuous course. The map evidence also suggests that before 1900 it may have extended further to the south east. The straight length of earthwork between the Main Ridge and The Bog zones is followed by the Worthen/ Ratlinghope parish boundary <3>
- Record Type: Monument
(01) Field survey report: Hannaford Hugh R. 2004. The Stiperstones Hills Archaeological Survey: assessment report and updated research design. SCCAS Rep. 231.2. (02) Geospatial data: Hannaford Hugh R & Fradley Michael. 2005. The Stiperstones Hills Archaeological Survey: GIS datasets. Stiperstones Hills Archaeological Survey. ArcView/ ArcGIS. (03) Field survey report: Hannaford Hugh R. 2006. The Stiperstones Hills Archaeological Survey: a report for land management purposes. SCCAS Rep. 238 - 3. p19. (04) Vertical aerial photograph: UK Perspectives. 1999/ 2002. UK Perspectives MAPS Digital Aerial Photographic Data Set for Shropshire. Colour. ECW. 1:10000. (05) Map: Foxall H D G. 1984. Field name map for Worthen Parish, Upper and Nether Heath Quarter, The Joint Lordship, based on the Tithe Apportionment and Map 1847. Foxall map transcripts. (06) Photograph: Hannaford Hugh R & Fradley Michael. 2003-2004. Stiperstones Survey digital photographs. Colour. JPEG. 0071_Black_Ditch.JPG.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 19/02/2007
- Date Last Edited: 16/03/2017 11:12:02