Church Of St. John, Doddington
- HER Number (PRN): 20452
- Site Name : Church Of St. John, Doddington
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1383554 Title: CHURCH OF ST JOHN Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 61548 76172
- Brief Description: A church, dated 1849, which is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Church. 1849. Ashlar.
PLAN: nave incorporating chancel, south porch and west tower.
EXTERIOR: nave east window and 4 windows on opposing side walls all with mid C19 Gothic-style pointed arches with
enriched metal lattice casements. One south window covered by south porch with arched entrance opening, diagonal buttresses and semi-castellated parapet. Tower: Romanesque-style round-headed window with simple ornament at upper and lower stages. String courses. Clockface in middle stage to south. Parapet with plain crenellation and raised corner merlons, over weathered string courses.
INTERIOR: west gallery, and continuous nave and chancel. Pine pews and carved chancel screen. Communion rail supported by cast-iron enriched Gothic-style balustrade. Design of the church is derived from that of St Michael, Hopton Wafers (qv) . <01>
- Record Type: Building
(01) List of Buildings: Department for Culture Media and Sport (DCMS). 2000-Feb-29. 17th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. 582-1. List volume. p121.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 27/05/2004 10:34:00
- Date Last Edited: 17/10/2007 13:36:19