War Memorial, High Street (s Side), Wem
- HER Number (PRN): 20321
- Site Name : War Memorial, High Street (s Side), Wem
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1389540 Title: WAR MEMORIAL Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 51237 28881
- Brief Description: A First World War memorial of the 1920s, in the form of a medieval preaching cross, which is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: First World War memorial. Circa early 1920s. Portland stone. In form a Medieval preaching cross. Octagonal on plan, with a 4-tier stepped base on which stands a crenellated pedestal with a smaller moulded pedestal on top and a slender tapered octagonal shaft supporting a Latin cross, carved with a shield, coronet and foliage. On the main pedestal and stepped base there are slate plaques inscribed with the names of those killed in the First and Second World Wars.
A good example of a First World War memorial situated on a prominent site in the churchyard of the parish Church of St Peter and St Paul, in the town centre. <1>
Monument description: Foliated stone cross bearing crown and shield in relief. Set on octagonal plinth which bears slate tablet on each side. Tablets bear names in white lettering. Four stepped base. Flower holders on stepped base. ->
-> Inscription: To the Glory/ of God/ in memory of/ the fallen in/ the Great Wars/ 1914-1918/ 1939 - 1945/ (names)/ 1939-1945/ (names). <2>
Photograph taken on 8th April 2015. <3>
- Record Type: Building
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. SMR Sheets Collection. SMR record sheets. SMR Sheet for PRN 20321. (01) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1983-Jun-06. 25th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 17-0. List volume. p15. 3rd Amendment (Addition) 08/11/2001. (02) Online database: Imperial War Museum. Imperial War Museum: National Inventory of War Memorials. 13861. (03) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. 23/04/15.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 03/01/2002 16:55:00
- Date Last Edited: 27/07/2015 08:37:56