Canal Aqueduct At Aqueduct
- HER Number (PRN): 02510
- Site Name : Canal Aqueduct At Aqueduct
- Protected Status:
Grade: II Ref No.: 1377111 Title: CANAL AQUEDUCT AT NATIONAL GRID REFERENCE 695 057 Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 6943 0593
- Brief Description: A canal aqueduct, circa 1788, which is protected by Grade II Listing.
- Description: Coalbrookdale branch of Shropshire Canal (PRN 03408). Single arch of stone with cast iron railings carried canal over road-now carries footpath <1>
Road was the Wellington to New Inns turnpike <1>
Canal aqueduct now a footpath bridge. Circa 1788 by William Reynolds engineer for the Shropshire Canal Navigation. Sandstone ashlar. Single elliptical arch with ashlar arch ring and abutments on either side in deep cutting for the track below. The canal above has been filled in and is now a footpath (Silkin Way).
Note-The Shropshire Canal was a tub boat canal authorised in June 1788 from Wrockwardine Wood to Coalport on the River Severn. It was converted to a railway line in 1857-61 <4><4a>
Later photographs taken 4th December 2017. The building bears a plaque that not only commemorates the erection and restoration of the aqueduct but also the war dead of the local village of Aqueduct. <5>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 02510. (01) Annotation: Tyler Alan W. 1978-Aug-31. Notes, 31/08/1978. (02) Monograph: Trinder Barrie. 1973. The Industrial Revolution in Shropshire. p128-130. (03) Photograph: Tyler Alan W. 1978. Slides. Colour. (04) List of Buildings: Department of the Environment (DoE). 1983-Apr-08. 19th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 1126-0. List volume. p65. 18th Amendment (Addition) 06/04/93. (04a) Monograph: Hadfield C. 1969/1985. Canals of the West Midlands. p152-159, p237-238, p250-251. (05) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. 07/12/2017.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 11/05/1993
- Date Last Edited: 07/12/2017 12:01:03