Mound At Linley Hall
- HER Number (PRN): 01864
- Site Name : Mound At Linley Hall
- Protected Status:
Grade: Ref No.: 1006254 Title: Title not entered Type: Scheduled Monument
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SO 3479 9287
- Brief Description: Scheduled Monument: A site variously recorded as a Bronze Age burial mound, a medieval motte (fortified mound - an unlikely interpretation), and a post medieval ice house and summer house.
- Description: This is probably the site scheduled as Round barrow S of Linley Hall. Unfortunately, the scheduling maplet rings what appears to be a ring plantation. As a result there is a duplication with SA 1227. PAW comment May 1991.
Linley Mound, motte and tumulus <1a>
An icehouse <1b>
Partly removed to make room for the erection of a summer house. Believed by the bailiff to be an ice-house. OS FI 1973 <1>
Large barrow at Linley Hall scooped out to form an ice house. No record of contents <2>
Evaluated for MPP in 1990-1, as one of less than 10 Ice Houses <3>
Situated 275m SE of the Hall, the ice house stands near the lake, the source of ice. The domed structure c.1853 is of brick and extends 1.8m below ground. Now used as a changing room for bathers, the ice house has been given a 'temple' frontage after the removal of the W facing passage (1981/3). <4>
Visited during a condition survey by the English Heritage Field Monument Warden, in 1999. Condition recorded as generally satisfactory. <5>
It is possible after all that the mound into which the ice house was built could have been a motte: LiDAR imagery shows faint earthworks to the SE & S of the mound that might be traces of a bailey. Linley was part of the Bishop of Hereford's manor of Lydbury North at Domesday. <6>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 01864. (01) Card index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Record Card SO39SW(M)-1. Ordnance Survey record cards. SO39SWM1 . (01a) Volume: Victoria County History. 1908. Victoria County History 1. Victoria County History of Shropshire. Vol 1. p386, p411. (01b) Article in serial: Hogg A H A & King D J C. 1970. Castles in Wales and the Marches: additions and corrections. Archaeologia Cambrensis. Vol 119. p119-124. p121. (02) Newspaper article: Wright T. 1856-Oct-04. Article in the Illustrated London News. Illus London News. Supplement. p351-352. (03) TEXT: Horton Wendy B. 1990/ 1991. MPP Evaluation File. (04) Article in serial: Jarrett B. 2009. Shropshire Ice Houses Gazetteer. Trans Shropshire Archaeol Hist Soc. 84. 34-50. p. 43. (05) Field survey report: Leigh Judith. 2001. Scheduled Ancient Monuments in the Shropshire Hills ESA: Brief Condition Survey. (06) SMR comment: Hannaford Hugh R. 2012 onwards. Comments by SMR compiler in SMR database. 05/02/2016.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 14/04/1980
- Date Last Edited: 17/07/2019 16:57:52