War Memorial, The Quarry, Shrewsbury
- HER Number (PRN): 20179
- Site Name : War Memorial, The Quarry, Shrewsbury
- Protected Status:
Grade: II* Ref No.: 1270484 Title: Shropshire War Memorial, The Quarry, St Chad's Terrace, Shrewsbury Type: Listed Building
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 4876 1246
- Related Monuments:
- Brief Description: A war memorial, dated 1922-23, which is protected by Grade II* Listing.
- Description: War memorial. 1922-3. By George Hubbard and Son. Granite plinth and columns carrying canopy over bronze statue. Low granite plinth with bronze railings cast in lozenge pattern and fluted Ionic shafts carrying domed canopy. Inscription runs round cornice. Beneath the canopy, a statue of St Michael wearing armour and with vast wings. This figure is by AG Wyon. (The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire: Harmondsworth: 1958) <1>
Monument description: Open Ionic rotunda with a low dome supported by six columns. In the centre a figure of St Michael with a lance in his left hand and his right arm extended in benediction. In the floor are carved the arms of the County and the Borough of Shrewsbury, the Croix de Guerre, the badge of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry and a cross. ->
-> Inscription: Remember the gallant men of Shropshire who/ fought for God, King and Country 1914-1918 and 1939 - 1945. <3>
Photograph taken on 6th March 2015. <4>
Listing reviewed and upgraded to Grade II* on 27/07/2017, and name was changed to Shropshire War Memorial. ->
The cost of the memorial was raised by public subscription. The memorial cost £4400, with the remaining funds collected being split between the Royal Salop Infirmary and Shrewsbury Orthopaedic Hospital. The memorial was designed by George Hubbard FSA FRIBA, of Hubbard and Moore, around a central figure by Allan Gairdner Wyon FRBS. The monument was built by Messrs Kirkpartrick and the statue was cast by A B Burton, of Thames Ditton. The memorial was unveiled on 29 July 1922 by George Herbert, 4th Earl of Powis, the Lord Lieutenant of Shropshire, in a ceremony presided over by the Right Reverend John Kempthorne, the Bishop of Lichfield. ->
-> George Hubbard FSA FRIBA was born in 1859 in Market Bosworth, and was responsible for a number of war memorials, including the Grade II listed Cambridge and Mottingham War Memorials. He was twice elected Vice President of the Royal Institute of British Architects. Allan Gairdner Wyon FRBS was born in 1882, and studied sculpture at the Royal Academy. Wyon was assistant sculptor to Hamo Thornycroft, and a Fellow of the Royal Society of British Sculptors. Wyon sculpted a number of war memorials, including the memorial to Edward Wyndham Tennant in Salisbury Cathedral, the Hinckley War Memorial, the Institute of Mining Engineers War Memorial and the Cambrian Railways War Memorial. As well as a number of church memorials, Wyon sculpted the East Wind figure, for the Grade I listed 55 Broadway, London. An inscription was added to the frieze of the memorial in 1949, and was unveiled by General Sir Oliver Leese in a ceremony presided over by Bishop Suffragan of Shrewsbury on 6 November 1949. The inscriptions in the floor and in front of the gate were also added after 1945. ->
First World War memorial by George Hubbard, with sculpture by Allan Wyon, erected in 1922.
MATERIALS: Portland stone rotunda with bronze figure.
DESCRIPTION: The memorial comprises a Portland stone open rotunda, with a domed stone canopy and entablature resting on six Ionic columns. The frieze is inscribed: IN MEMORY OF THE MEN AND WOMEN OF SHROPSHIRE WHO FELL IN THE TWO WORLD WARS 1914 18 AND 1939 45. The internal frieze is decorated with the arms of the six boroughs of Shropshire, one above each column. The rotunda sits on a three stepped granite plinth, and is surrounded by a circular set of bronze railings, cast in a lozenge pattern.
The centre of the rotunda is occupied by a bronze statue of Saint Michael depicted as the field commander of the Army of God, in a full set of Gothic plate armour and holding a pennanted lance. His right hand is held out in benediction, he has a halo in the shape of a solar cross and he is framed by a large pair of feathered wings. The statue stands on a low hexagonal plinth, which is surrounded by 6 hexagonal plaques inlaid into the floor of the monument.
Right in front of the statue, the first plaque is inscribed: REMEMBER / + / THE GALLANT / MEN AND WOMEN / OF SHROPSHIRE / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR GOD KING AND / COUNTRY / 1914 18 + 1939 45. Moving clockwise, the other five plaques show the county arms of Shropshire, a Croix de Guerre, an empty cross in front of a rising sun, the badge of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry and the arms of the town of Shrewsbury.
A brass plaque laid in the ground in front of the gates of the enclosure is inscribed as follows: This War Memorial was built in 1922-3 in honour of the men and women of Shropshire who fell in the Great War of 1914-18. The war / dead of 1939-45 are also commemorated by this monument. It was designed by George Hubbard and Son and built in Portland stone. / The richly embellished floor shows the County and Regimental arms on a gold mosaic background. The seals or arms of the six / boroughs of the County are embossed on the inside frieze. The bronze figure of Saint Micheal beneath the canopy is by A G Wyon. ->
-> Archer, G, The Glorious Dead: Figurative Sculpture of British First World War Memorials, (2009), 208
'Shropshire War Memorial' in Lichfield Mercury, , Vol. 45, No 2245, (4 August 1922), 4
Imperial War Museum database, accessed 30 May 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/13913
War Memorials Online database, accessed 30 May 2017 from https://www.warmemorialsonline.org.uk/memorial/165666/. <5>
- Record Type: Building
(01) List of Buildings: Department of National Heritage (DNH). 1995-Nov-17. 47th List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. Vol 653-1. List volume. p446. (02) Monograph: Pevsner Nikolaus. 1958. Buildings of England (Shropshire). Buildings of England. (03) Online database: Imperial War Museum. Imperial War Museum: National Inventory of War Memorials. 13913. (04) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler. (05) Advisory designation documentation: Historic England (Designation). 2017-Jul-27. Case Name: Shrewsbury Civic War Memorial. Case Number: 1444697.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Last Edited: 25/10/2017 13:11:19