Cross At The Top Of Pride Hill (the High Cross), Shrewsbury
- HER Number (PRN): 01475
- Site Name : Cross At The Top Of Pride Hill (the High Cross), Shrewsbury
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 4926 1264
- Brief Description: The site of a medieval cross.
- Description: Place of execution of Earl of Worcester and others after the Battle of Shrewsbury in 1403 [<1a>]. Dafydd III, last native Prince of Wales, also executed here in 1283 [<1b>]. Taken down in 1705 [<1c>] or 1687 [<1b>]. A medieval cross used as a place of assembly and execution. Name also applied to later buildings on the site. mentioned in the calendar of Deeds and in the Corporation Accounts [<1c>] <1>
Stood at the enlarged north-east end of Pride Hill, at the top of the hill, and marked the termination of the market street. Was a starting point for civic and religious processions in the medieval town. <2>
Modern cross stands on the site of the High Cross. This was presented by Shrewsbury School to the town on 19 June 1952, to commemorate its fourth centenary. See http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCA_XPH_S_13_P_6_53/. <3>
Photograph of modern cross on this site taken on 8th June 2015. <4>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 01475. (01) Card index: Ordnance Survey. 1960. Ordnance Survey Record Card SJ41SE115. Ordnance Survey record cards. SJ41SE115. (01a) Monograph: Phillips T. 1779. History and Antiquities of Shrewsbury. p34, p38-39. (01b) Inscription: Anon. nd. Plaque. (01c) Monograph: Hobbs J L. 1954. Street Names of Shrewsbury. p60. (02) Article in serial: Baker Nigel J et al. 1993. Further Work on Pride Hill, Shrewsbury. Trans Shropshire Archaeol Hist Soc. Vol 68. p1-64. (03) Catalogue: Shropshire Archives. 2018. Shropshire Archives - online catalogue. http://search.shropshirehistory.org.uk/collections/getrecord/CCA_XPH_S_13_P_6_53/. (04) SMR comment: Haynes J B. 2014 onwards. Comments by J B Haynes, HER Compiler.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 30/05/1977
- Date Last Edited: 22/10/2018 14:52:21