- HER Number (PRN): 01331
- Site Name : Westcott Mine
- Civil Parish:
- Grid Reference: SJ 4041 0139
- Brief Description: A post medieval copper mine and with engine house.
- Description: Huglith Mine was worked for Barytes until 1945, Westcott Mine is older. Small engine house on the Westcott Shaft probably for a small engine and shaft of slight depth <1>
-> Huglith Mine now recorded as PRN 04604 <2>
The Westcott copper and Huglith barytes mine complex [PRN 04604]. ->
-> Westcott is the only copper mine in the area. The mines lie in the south eastern side of the valley, approximately 2km south of Habberley. The main area of the Huglith mine is within coniferous woodland whereas the Wescott Mine workings are in more open higher pasture land to the south.
-> The remains of the former beam engine house is the most important building on the site. The former bean engine house and chimney complex of Westcott Mine are within the garden of a bungalow called Westcott Birches which was formerly the house of the Huglith Mine manager. The stability of the remaining structures on the site was assessed by a structural engineer during a survey of South Shropshire lead mines in 1997. These included 3m high retaining walls and various brick and concrete buildings around the mill area, many of which were considered to be generally stable. The boiler house and chimney were not assessed in detail due to their location on private grounds but appeared to be stable also.
-> Other workings lie in the pasture south of Westcott Birches which may be 18th century or older. There are a number of adits in the west-facing hillside and shafts on the top of Westcott hill to the south east. South of Westcott farm there is an area of woodland adjacent to the minor road with several open shafts and other workings.
-> Very little is known about the main lode which was worked at the Westcott mine. Government publications show a single structure with a strike length of 130m. Four shafts, two adits and an opencast for copper are shown on the first edition 1:2500 Ordnance survey, carried out in the 1880s. By 1902, two of these shafts have completely disappeared from the map and some of the workings have been changed from copper (disused) to barytes (disused). The occurrence and consequent exploration for copper ores is probably far more widespread than is indicated in the available literature.
-> The ore eventually failed in depth, the determined effort for Shropshire Mines Co. in 1867-9 coming to nothing in spite of erecting a 30 inch Cornish pumping engine. Part of the building and chimney still survive.
-> There is no communication from the Huglith workings with any of the Westcott mine workings. <3>
Unit 1: A probable quarry of Post Medieval date, seen as an earthwork, and mapped from poor quality aerial photographs.EH Author: MGB Date: 05/04/94. ->
-> MU.367.3 Unit 1: A definite mine shaft of Post Medieval date, seen as an earthwork, and mapped from non-destructive fieldwork. EH Author: MGB Date: 05/04/94. <4>
Vertical aerial photograph reference number - RAF 58/6754 0053-5 12-MAY-1965: SJ 4067 0163. Extractive pits, shafts, quarries and spoil heaps associated with a Post Medieval barytes mine are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs and have been mapped by RCHMEs Marches Uplands Mapping Project. The remains are scattered over an area of about 28 hectares on the top and sides of a hill. (See also PRN 04604) <5>
Material mined: Copper. Geology: Longmyndian Sandstone. Worked: unknown. Visited: 1978, early 1980's. The main part of this mine around the engine house and shaft has been landscaped into a garden for the nearby bungalow. The edit in this complex was explored in 1960, when it went a short distance to water filled stopes leading downwards. The main adit can still be explored and goes in for some distance. At the end stoping on a vein extends to the right and left. To the right is a flooded winze, beyond which a raise leads to surface. To the left, the passage crosses over two flooded winzes and ends in a blind heading. A sloping stope leads up but does not extend far. <6>
Photographed during aerial survey in 2010. <8>
Identified by the Marches Uplands Survey. Barytes and Copper mine in operation 1866 to 1894. <9>
Identified, and recorded on an IRIS form by Shropshire Caving and Mining Club. These workings are identified as Wescott Mine in operation during the mid 19th to 20th century, and for which a number of features are identified. An engine house is now in a private garden; ruins of engine house chimney, filled engine shaft and levels notes at SJ403015. Three open levels at SJ404014 and the intact remains of open vein workings at SJ405014. <10>
- Record Type: Monument
(00) Card index: Shropshire County Council SMR. Site and Monuments Record (SMR) cards. SMR record cards. SMR Card for PRN SA 01331. (01) Monograph: Davies T J. The Engine Houses of the Mines of South Shropshire. p53. (02) TEXT: Reid Malcolm L. 1993. Commentary on Mine Plans and Sections in Shropshire Record Office. (03) Deskbased survey report: Chapman A C. 1997. South Shropshire Metal Mines: A Desk Study. ACC/1737. (04) Database file: National Monuments Record (NMR). 1993/ 1994. Marches Uplands Mapping Project (MUMP) MORPH records (2006 version). Marches Uplands Survey. MU.367.2 Unit 1; MU.367.3 Unit 1. (05) Online database: National Monuments Record (NMR). Pastscape. MONUMENT NO. 1395700. (06) Volume: Heathcote J S. 1979/ 1992. A Survey of the Metal Mines of South (West) Shropshire. Shropshire Caving and Mining Club Accounts. No 12. p61; C37. (07) Monograph: Michael Shaw. 2009. The Lead, Copper & Barytes Mines of Shropshire. p222. (08) Oblique aerial photograph: Shropshire Council. 2010-Mar-8. SA1005_035 to SA1005_038 (4 photos) Flight: 10_SA_05. Colour. Digital. (09) Field survey report: Dinn James. 1996. Mining, settlement and agriculture in the West Shropshire Mining District. Hereford & Worcester CAS Rep. 237. (10) Record form: Shropshire Caving and Mining Club. 1994. IRIS form [AIA - Index Record for Industrial Sites]. IRIS Record Sheet. SA/SCMC/AJP7.
- Related Places:
- For more information contact: Shropshire Council HER
- Date Created: 18/06/1993
- Date Last Edited: 10/10/2018 13:53:49