SOUTHAM'S BREWERY RECORDS
- System Reference: X6825
- Level: Collection
- Date: 1897-1970
- Finding Aids: A previous list for Accession 06825 can be found in the Whitbread deposit file.
- Description: The collection includes:
Corporate records 1891-1968 including
Articles of Association 1926-1966
Certificates of incorporation, 1926
Partnership agreements and papers, 1884
Amalgamation papers 1913-1938
Board of Directors' meeting minutes, 1926-1967
Papers relating to Board of Directors' meetings, 1964
Minutes of Annual and Extraordinary Meetings 1926-1967
Annual reports and accounts, 1891-1968
Committee minutes and related papers, 1965-1966
Registers of Directors 1926-1967
Share records 1926-1969
Accounting and financial records 1908-1967 including:
Final accounts ledger, 1951-1956
Private, general and other specialised ledgers 1908-1963
Day book sheets, 1958,
Tax and excise records, 1942-1967
Premises and property records 1896-1971 including
Registers of mortgages and bonds, 1898-1968
Rent records and correspondence 1964-1965, n.d.
Valuation of public houses and correspondence, 1966-1967
Insurance records 1919-1927
Title deeds and tenancy agreements, 1896-1971
Production and sales records 1964-1966
Technical records, 1962
Legal records, 1938-1947
Publicity records, 20th century including:
Bottle labels, beer mats, postcards and delivery tags, c.1950s
Price lists, 20th century
Headed paper and press cuttings, 20th century
Photograph album and loose photographs of public houses, 20th century
Postcards of public houses, 20th century
Leaflets and brochures of public houses, 20th century
Other records include:
General correspondence, 1931-1951
Papers of Eleanor Joyce Southam, 1953-1961
Papers of T Roger Southam, 1947-1962 including financial paperwork relating to 7 Havelock Road, Shrewsbury, 7 Montague Place, Shrewsbury and The Shrubbery, Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury
Papers of Walter Thomas Southam, 1903-1922
Photographs, 20th century
Photographs of Southam's Brewery, 20th century
Financial reports of Mr and Mrs Revell of the Fox Inn Dudleston, 1912-1932.
The collection covers the geographic area of Shropshire, the Welsh Marches and North Wales due to the spread of the public houses that were owned by the brewery. However, the focal point is Shrewsbury, Shropshire, the location of the brewery and the residence of the Southam family.
The complete run of financial records and the high volume of photographs of public houses make the collection an invaluable resource for researchers of business archives, specifically breweries and for those conducting 'pub' histories.
- Admin History: Thomas Southam, a mineral water manufacturer in Ludlow and Shrewsbury acquired the Old Salop Brewery, Chester Street, Shrewsbury c. 1880. Southam went in to partnership with his son Walter Thomas Southam in 1884. W. T. Southam continued running the brewery after the death of his father in 1904. Southam's Brewery was registered as a liability company in January 1926. W. T. Southam's children Eleanor Joyce and Thomas Roger Seymour Southam were heavily involved in the running of the brewery. Their personal papers are also contained in this collection. However, it is not known if Mr Strange collected their records from the brewery or from other members of their family. The company was bought by Threlfalls Chesters Ltd in 1966.
- Extent: 0.09 cubic metres (9 boxes; 583 items, 219 photographs, 21 postcards)
- Related Material: Personal papers relating to the demise of Thomas Southam - Ref: SA 6000/5391-4 (NRA 19299 Shrewsbury Public Library) are held at Shropshire Archives.
- Copyright: Reproduction of textual items is allowed for personal research only. For publication or exhibition of material from 06825 and 07171 the permission of Shropshire Archives and the Estate of the late John Strange, respectively, must be contacted. The reproduction of photographs is subject to copyright laws.
- Location: Shropshire Archives
- Access Status: Readers Ticket
- Conditions: A Reader's Ticket is required to access the collection. Access subject to Data Protection Act (where may contain personal data, i.e. less than 100 years old) Access restricted: subject to individual application (for more sensitive records, likely to be "closed" to access unless prior permission granted)
- For more information contact: Shropshire Archives
When contacting us, please quote the Document Reference or Class and title. If not shown, go to the Catalogue below and click on the + symbol next to the current entry (shown in bold) to find more specific records.
You can also browse the Catalogue to find other records in this collection - click on the + symbol next to an entry to open up the catalogue and view further records below.
If there is no + or - symbol then you have reached the most specific entry. Hover over the text to view further details or click on the text to display the full record of any entry.