TELFORD DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION RECORDS
- System Reference: X6235
- Level: Collection
- Date: 20th century
- Description: Formerly the Dawley Development Corporation
- Admin History: The New Town was first designated on 16 January 1963 as Dawley New Town, covering 9,100 acres (37 km2) of Dawley, Wenlock, Oakengates, Wellington Rural District and Shifnal Rural District. Development started, guided by the Dawley New Town Development Corporation, with the first homes on the new Sutton Hill housing estate being occupied in 1967. Initial planning and design concepts for Dawley New Town were produced by the Birmingham-based John Madin Design Group. The Dawley New Town (Designation) Amendment (Telford) Order was made on 29 November 1968, extending the New Town area by 10,143 acres (41.05 km2) of land lying within the urban districts of Oakengates and Wellington and the rural districts of Shifnal and Wellington. This Order also renamed the new town Telford, after the civil engineer Thomas Telford. Most of the infrastructure was constructed from the late 1960s and throughout the 1970s with the major housing and commercial development occurring over three decades up to the early 1990s when the Telford Development Corporation was wound up to be replaced by the Commission for the New Towns, later English Partnerships, and most of the property was handed over to the then Wrekin District Council. [Telford. (2016, May 6). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia].
- Copyright: Crown Copyright (Telford Development Corporation)
- Access Status: Readers Ticket
- For more information contact: Shropshire Archives
When contacting us, please quote the Document Reference or Class and title. If not shown, go to the Catalogue below and click on the + symbol next to the current entry (shown in bold) to find more specific records.
You can also browse the Catalogue to find other records in this collection - click on the + symbol next to an entry to open up the catalogue and view further records below.
If there is no + or - symbol then you have reached the most specific entry. Hover over the text to view further details or click on the text to display the full record of any entry.